Friday, April 3, 2009

Unschooling Ladybugs


We went to the farmers market and found so many ladybugs. Trinity found a plastic tube that was open on both sides and brought seven lady bugs home in it. When we got home she wanted to learn more about lady bugs. On the computer we go and found really great info about what they eat. We found really neat pictures of what the eggs look like, and what they look like right before they turn into the pretty ladybug we know and love to catch. I learned some things about them as well. Having them living in your veggie garden is the most natural way of getting rid of plant eating bugs. I was so excited. Trinity learned what she wanted to know and so did I. She went outside to let them go and I ordered more ladybugs for our garden.
We waited for a not so sunny day to release some of them with their friends.. It is so much fun to learn together. I have been so excited to share my news and apparently I am the only person that didn't know this info..:) Learning is Fun.


3 comments:

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great Idea! New blog on the Hx. of the Ladybug:
http://historyoftheladybug.blogspot.com/

ClayMonkey said...

Natalie, thanks for posting the ladybug entry. I'm not an unschooling parent (I'm not even a parent), just a supporter and friend of Jen Johnson - who is organizing the retreat this week. Anyway, I mentioned to a friend that I was reading up on unschooling - "what's that?" - and I sent him the ladybug post. Better than any floundering description I could give, for sure. Have fun at the conference.
ClayMonkey

Natalie said...

this was one of my favorite posts..we so enjoyed letting the ladybugs go and to see them still there makes us happy to know they have found a good home. I still tell people about them and still find it hilarious that I feel like I am the only one who didn't know about this..the conference was amazing Jen and Chris did an amazing job.