Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Birth Birth Birth

One of my favorite subjects to talk about is Birth. Moving far from NJ, I feel a bit out of the loop and at the same time trying to get in the loop with what is going on here in NC.

A wonderful woman by the name Debra Pascali -Bonaro has birthed a documentary film called, Orgasmic Birth and it is finally finished. http://orgasmicbirth.com/
When I lived in NJ I coordinated the speakers for the Holistic Moms Group I was apart of and asked Debra to come and speak about Orgasmic Birth. So many people came that night. I have seen a sneak preview of the movie which is absolutely beautiful. It is definitely something that gets everyone talking. People need to see this movie.

I met Debra in 2004 when Trinity was 8 months old. I attended her Birth Doula training. It was through that training where I entered the world of birth and shocked by what I had been taught. The deprogramming began.
During Trinity's pregnancy I knew I wanted something different from what was easily offered and what was the norm. I had a hard time finding it because I didn't have any resources what so ever. I didn't even know where to begin. I remember asking my OB if he knew any midwives. :) With the help of George's sister finding Starseed Yoga Center in Montclair, my world opened up. I found a midwife and a doula, great prenatal yoga class.....George and I took a Birthing From Within birthing class when I was four months pregnant. I was so excited I wanted to know everything there was to know about birth. There weren't any free standing birthing centers in NJ so I did give birth in a hospital. I will forever be thankful for Trinity's birth. If it weren't for the experience I had with her, I wouldn't be where I am today. Or maybe I would who knows. I consider myself a birth junkie..lol

During the baby life of Trinity I completed an infant massage training when Trinity was 4 mo. old, met Ricki Lake when she was documenting her movie The Business of Being Born http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/ at the Birthing Conference in NYC when Trinity was 10 m.old. Life was great. And it was during that conference I met a woman Augustine. She was an inspiration to me and it was her story that gave me permission to birth BellaSky the way that I wanted to. Unassisted. http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/

While pregnant with BellaSky I met the most beautiful and empowering women. Setting intentions and manifesting dreams are a very powerful tool. On Labor Day weekend I attended Bagels and Birth Stories at The Red Tent in Brooklyn, there we all shared our story which was documented as well. I met Karen Brody, she wrote the play BOLD-Birth On Labor Day. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Henci Goer and Barbara Harper. It was an amazing day. The next day George and I went to see BOLD.
I had contractions all through the play. I thought for sure the baby was coming that night. But looking back now I think she was just happy to be there. Debra played one of the characters. It felt so good to be surrounded by these women. Towards the end of my pregnancy I was very careful who I shared my plans with. I didn't want any negative energy around me. Everyone I met was so supportive and sending me positive energy. It was what I needed. 

After giving birth to BellaSky I felt like I could do anything. I felt so empowered. I remember wanting to go on Oprah and share my story..ha ha..Manifesting that brought a phone call into my life from Karen Brody who asked if she could add me as an 8th charactor in her play BOLD. I was I can even describe how I felt. It was Trinity's birth story. I was honored to be asked and honored to share it. A week later Debra called me and asked if I would be interested in sharing BellaSky's birth story for Orgasmic Birth..Of course I was thrilled. I don't know if my story will make the cut but it was very cool to be apart of something so powerful.  Laws Of Attraction are very powerful. Be careful what you wish for. Trinity repeats something I said a long long time ago, "if you put something positive out there then positive energy will come back to you, if you put negagive energy out there then negagive energy will come to you, right mommy?" I love how she says negative.
So in BellaSky's young years I am on to educating myself more which is a huge deal for me...we are leaving for TN "The Farm" where thousands of women have gone just to give birth, the place of Ina May Gaskin. http://www.thefarm.org/ I am taking the training for Birthing From Within, http://www.birthingfromwithin.com/so I can empower more and more and more..I am very excited to become a child birth educator in the way that works for me and I feel passionately  about. And according to a mom that may be using my services, I will be the only BFW educator in NC. I am feeling a little overwhelmed about that, but am excited about it at the same time.
this turned out to be a really long post..see what happens when I talk about birth.
blessings to all birthing women.

No comments: